Introduction to Single National Curriculum
SNC stands for a single national curriculum, provides one system of education in terms of curriculum, common assessment platform, and same medium of instruction. Single National Curriculum ensures all children have to receive a high-quality education with equal opportunity. All children have social cohesion and national integration. They have equal opportunities for social mobility. These all things are possible if all students achieve the same equation in one state. Plurality, diversity, and secularity are the outcome of world’s successful education systems. It encourages critical thinking, problem-solving, and inquiry-based learning rather than rote memorization and an overburdened curriculum.
A strong curriculum is very important for excellent educational system. Furthermore, the quality of teaching methods has a significant impact on a child’s learning and growth. A child would be on his own if he didn’t have good teachers, and he could struggle to cope with situations. It comprises a single curriculum structure for all classes. For all grades from 1 to 12, the medium of instruction is the same
The mission of Single National Curriculum
The Single National Curriculum also aims to improve the teaching of education. SNC is going to develop different assessment frameworks modules to train the teacher. It is fount that world top successful education system support purity, diversity and secularity. It also encourages critical thinking, problem-solving, and inquiry-based learning, rather than rote memorization and an overburdened curriculum.
Furthermore, the quality of teaching methods has a significant impact on a child’s learning and growth. A child would be on his own if he didn’t have good teachers, and he could struggle to keep up with the growing amount of schoolwork. A curriculum is a planned series of syllabuses or, to put it another way, a curriculum is anything that makes up a course of study at any school or college.
The Single National Curriculum aims to provide a “fair and equitable chance to acquire high-quality education” to all students, regardless of their genealogy, and to provide “minimum educational standards” for each grade and schooling system, ranging from premium schools to madrassahs.
Mission of Single National Curriculum is to abolish educational segregation. it is more likely to be abolished by establishing a single national education system rather than a single national school curriculum. Inequality between rich and poor will persist since little effort will be made to improve school conditions in general. Students from affluent and impoverished homes will definitely study the same curriculum but under vastly different surroundings, so exacerbating the social divide.
Key Features to Develop SNC in Pakistan
The following fundamental considerations drive the development of SNC:
- Sunnah and Quranic teachings
- Quaid’s and Iqbal’s visions
- Structure of the Constitution
- Policies, aspirations, and national standards are all part of the national agenda.
- Alignment with SDG-4’s goals and targets
- International teaching, learning, and assessment trends
- A method based on outcomes
- Values-based, life-skills-based, and inclusive education are all priorities.
- Respect and admiration for other cultures and religions in both a local and global context
- Learners’ intellectual, spiritual, aesthetic, emotional, social, and physical growth are all encouraged.
- Focus on project, inquiry, and activity-based learning rather than rote memorizing.
Goals of Single National Curriculum :
The SNC focuses on teaching student’s values and traits such as honesty, tolerance, respect, peaceful coexistence, environmental awareness and care, democracy, human rights, sustainable development, global citizenship, personal care, and safety. Instead of static teacher-centered learning, SNC focuses on the development of analytical, critical, and creative thinking through an activities-based approach.
The SNC is based on standards, benchmarks, and results across all topics, as opposed to the curriculum, which did not have standards, benchmarks, or learning outcomes for each subject. Islamiat was incorporated with General Knowledge until and then became a separate topic from Grade 3 onwards. Islamiat is taught as a separate subject at the SNC beginning in grade 1 and continuing through grade 12.
From Grade 3 onwards, the topic of Ethics was substituted for Islamiat for non-Muslim students. For five minority groups in Pakistan, a new curriculum called Religious Education has been introduced for non-Muslim pupils from grade 1 onwards. The TIMSS content structure has been used to align the content of the SNC for Math and Science. The material is in line with international commitments such as SDG 4 (Sustainable Development Goals.
Role of Single National Curriculum
- A rigorous, internationally competitive, locally appropriate, and well-coordinated curriculum is required. The SNC, which is based at the Federal Ministry of Education, is making a significant contribution in this area. As a more cautious way to evaluating any policy intervention, some of its essential elements must be assessed. While we can analyze the object’s intentions and potential misuse, this should not be the initial step.
- Common competencies, a comprehensive evaluation methodology, and teaching standards are all part of the SNC. Its goals are to promote “social cohesion and national integration,” as well as to address “disparities in educational content across numerous streams… give chances for upward social mobility, equity in education, and holistic development” in line with global trends and local objectives.
- In addition, the SNC focuses on strategies to improve Pakistani students’ worldwide competitiveness. It takes into account our international obligations, such as SDG 4. The SNC promotes democracy, human decency, and intercultural harmony while enhancing national values and citizenship.
- The emphasis on soft skills development — such as communication, cooperation, and analytical thinking is a huge departure from earlier bookish approaches. This one explains how to turn these complex ideals into basic, implementable ones, step by step and in a logical order.
- It is holistic, based on the combination of economically sound skillsets, the transmission of nation-building values, and the cultivation of good attitudes among individuals.
- Provinces and even districts should be free to incorporate aspects of their own histories, cultures, values, and goals.
SNC will assist in improving Quality Education:
The quality of a country’s educational system determines its progress and development. A state that does not maintain high educational standards will never be able to keep up with the modern world of progress. “Education is a matter of life and death for our nation,” Pakistan’s founder Muhammad Ali Jinnah had strongly cautioned the young nation. One such vision is the Single National Curriculum (SNC).
It lays out a single educational system for all children in terms of curriculum, teaching, medium of instruction, and a common assessment platform, ensuring that all children in the state have a fair and equal opportunity to receive a quality education. However, the question remains as to whether the unified curriculum will be successful in lessening the long-standing disparity in educational standards.
While examining the SNC in detail, opponents have identified a number of obstacles in the way of Pakistan’s educational reforms. 140 human rights advocates, parents, and educators signed an open letter to Prime Minister Imran Khan earlier this year in March. The state curriculum, according to the signatories, takes away parents’ right to choose the type of education their children get.
As the youngster grows older, the transgressions appear to become more severe. Article 22 was determined to be infringed in 23 percent of Class 4 English textbooks and 21.42 percent of Class 5 English textbooks, according to teachers. Most of these are concepts or beliefs that non-Muslim children are unlikely to be familiar with and thus should not be obliged to know them under their constitutionally granted rights.
Challenges SNC has to Tackle:
Similarly, it is critical to recognize that the SNC goals can only be realized if all out-of-school children are enrolled in school, gender disparities in education are reduced, minorities have access to a variety of subjects at all levels, teachers are trained, and basic infrastructure requirements in schools are met, and Article 25-A of the constitution is implemented. Simultaneously, greater focus should be directed to women’s education. Girls’ education must be made possible by removing societal restrictions. Furthermore, greater funding for education should be supplied.
- the biggest challenge in to Reduce the education gap in Pakistan public schools, private schools, and Madrassahs. these there is also a significant difference in material between the three. The lack of a unified system has resulted in expanding disparities in learning, resulting in socioeconomic inequity. The SNC has advantages and disadvantages, as well as many unanswered problems.
- The split in learning and how knowledge is delivered not only divides mental processes but also leads to lost societal and economic opportunities. During the lockdown, challenges with distance learning were more obvious as a large portion of the population was not connected to the internet. Another glaringly obvious issue is the inconsistency of the subject being presented. Current textbooks are out of date and encourage rote learning, which is ineffective in the twenty-first century. The outmoded syllabus sometimes takes precedence over critical thinking and analysis.
- Furthermore, after the implementation of SNC, instructors will be responsible for achieving any lofty objectives. In Pakistan, qualified teachers are in low supply, particularly at the basic and secondary levels. All of SNC’s goals and objectives will be unmet if teachers fail to live up to their obligations
If you have any questions, suggestions, or would like to write for us, please get in touch with us. Pakreview will be very happy to answer your queries and provide you the chance to write.